Messiah Lutheran Church was begun on February 27, 1875 by 30 Swedish immigrants as a mission congregation of the Augustana Synod. In 1884 the Synod officially designated Messiah as a congregation. In 1925 Messiah began to hold services in English. During this time the congregation was served be seminarians and the staff from Augustana College. By the 1930’s membership declined and worship services were only held occasionally.
In 1948, Rev. E.E. Ryden, editor of the Augustana Synod magazine, became vice-pastor. In the 1950’s, Rev. Louis Almen, a professor at Augusstana College, served as pastor and was assisted by his father, Rev. Carl Almen, a retired pastor. Since 1964 Messiah has been served by: Pastors John Finney, David Spong, Phillip Gronbach, Larry Lindmark, Jeffrey Linman, Frank Langholf, Barbara and Wayne Melaas-Swanson. Our current pastor is Dave Efflandt.
In its life Messiah has met in 3 buildings. The Greenwood School was the earliest facility. In 1886 the first church was built. It was remodeled and additions added in 1904, 1950, and 1964. Messiah began to worship in it current facility on Sunday, February 25, 1990.
Messiah Lutheran Church has proclaimed the Gospel, nurtured the Faith, and cared for the needs of others for the past 148 years. The people of Messiah continue to offer themselves to God to share Christ’s love through word and deed within the congregation, throughout the community, and around the world.
1875-2023 – 148 Years of Sharing the Love of Christ